Friday, September 12, 2014

Walking 500 miles to the Art of NYC

 
                                         
Andy Warhol-silkscreen on acrylic- "Ethel Scull 36 Times" can be found at 945 Madison Ave at the Whitney Museum of American Art

     One might think that moving to NYC, or any giant city where a car isn't needed, would be a great way to lose weight/get in shape from walking everywhere (false!). You walk SO MUCH ( especially if you're one of the many who hates the subways). Today alone I know I walked 100+ blocks, but all of my favorite museums are at the upper part of Central Park. My first pair of shoes are already starting to wear away at the soles, but that's to be expected at the right price of a $15 pair of H&M bargain shoes.
 This cat meme actually brings me to my next conundrum. How do women walk so much in heels? And there are always hidden cobblestone paths popping up out of nowhere!..

                   (This meme reminds me of something I saw at the Koons exhibit yesterday..

..and for size reference).
..But I digress!! I wore cowboy boots one night during fashion week to be ironic/funny/stupid? (Really I just wanted to see if the faux-photographers would approach me. NO LUCK! In my defense I think I played it too safe). My point is I wore cowboy boots and my feet were killing me an hour later. It got to the point where any uneven pavement felt like knives in the side of my feet! (Hi! I'm dramatic!) I can't imagine what it would be like to wear heels.
PopWare! Fashion

Today's long hall started with a trip to the Guggenheim. I thought I knew which train to take but I was wrong. I ended up saving myself about 12 blocks of walking..sounds great but not really. The walks are nice, and lately the weather has been really nice and accommodating for outdoor activity so I did not mind the 40 block-walk at all. Not to mention the east side of Central Park is lined with beautiful architecture.

One of the fun things about walking throughout a city versus driving is that you can "pull over" and have a random photo shoot at any moment, anywhere! Here's one of Keith and his close-friend Beyonce. Beyonce was in one of her moods. Probably 'hangry.'

  Though you do walk much more than you would have originally thought/planned, you would sooner die than lose weight in the city. When money is tight or when you don't feel like spending, oh I don't know, $20? $30? for a basic lunch you have the option of $1 pizza, $2 bagel, $3 pretzel/hot-dog. Notice anything missing from those food groups? WHERE ARE THE FREAKIN' DOLLAR SALADS? There also happens to be a lovely thing called Happy Hour at almost every single bar/restaurant. Five-dollar sangria? HELLO!

Walking is great, for now at least. Maybe in the coming months I'll hate it, but for now I'll continue to walk to Central Park and the surrounding museums to enjoy what's offered. I'm loving all of the aesthetics of the city. It's just too bad I can't substitute walking for exercise. '_'


No comments:

Post a Comment