Sunday, September 21, 2014

NYC Gems

     There are many great things about the city, great public transportation, several parks, fair amounts of art, food, a variety of cultures, etc. One of my favorite things about the city are the hidden surprises around every corner, the little treasures I find when I'm not looking. I call these surprises that fall into my lap,"gems." 

   On a recent venture to Queens, Keith and I found gems in the sense of food. Two restaurants with decent food at a great price. The first place we found is a pizza and burger joint called Chubby Burgers.

     First I would like to point out that pizza and burgers is a great idea. Both are easy to make, but they also cover a lot of ground when it comes to what the masses like to eat. I feel like MOST people like both of those options, but usually if someone doesn't like hamburgers, they at least like pizza and vise-versa. Secondly, the price was great! For a delicious Chubby burger, salad, coke, and water it came out to about 13 dollars.Not bad at all!


Our second food gem was also in Queens. It's a Greek cafe called Cafe Boulis. They have these delicious doughnut-like creations called LOUKOUMADES (lu-ku-ma-days) that they make fresh to order. YOU HAVE TO TRY THESE. They are like a petite doughnut and you can order a variety of toppings, but it's suggested to try the classic toppings first. The classic loukoumades comes topped with honey, cinnamon, and powdered sugar. There is also great coffee, and other pastries such as baklava that are really good and worth trying. For under 10 bucks you can get enough loukoumades for two, an ice coffee, and a juice. A GEM INDEED!


Saturday morning Keith and I checked out the FREE KAYAKING provided on a volunteer-basis by the Downtown Boathouse. It's really cool; fast, and friendly people volunteering their weekend mornings and afternoons to allow anyone who wants to come and kayak for free in the Hudson River.  the objective is to provide recreational opportunities to a space-constrained world. Donations are welcomed, so perhaps bring a dollar or two; it's still a great deal! 


        The walk back to the apartment led us through all kinds of markets that were like community garage sales. We weren't looking to buy anything, but we were stopped by a gentleman offering us deals from his table because he was ready to get the stuff sold and call it a day. He was really friendly, told us about the Broadway Flea-market that was Sunday, and sold us a movie and a book for five bucks. Here's where we found a gem. STARRBOOTY dvd starring RuPaul the one-and-only in an unopened case. Um..that' worth about 40 bucks on Amazon right now. Forget the monetary value, it's a freakin' gem because it stars RuPaul! Bonus points because Lady Bunny is also in the movie.


    Sunday we decided to check out the Broadway Flea-market which is a giant fundraiser for Broadway Cares: Equity Fights AIDs. It's the 28th annual fundraiser, and larger than ever. There are 60 tables set up selling anything from playbills and magnets, to original works of art and costumes. Last year the organization raise over $630,000, and since the beginning it has raised over 10.3 million dollars.
         I realized that I don't know half  of the Broadway musicals nor have I seen more than a handful. My desire for trinkets was very low, but I did find two cute magnets and a key-chain. The key chain is from a musical (?) maybe? It reads, " Suite in 2 keys." I have no idea; it was worth a dollar. The magnet that reads, "BAD JEWS" I thought was funny but is from a musical that I know nothing of except the title, "Bad Jews." Magnets are my favorite item to collect. Why? They are small and make great decorations for the fridge.


       My most recent gem came from Central Park today. Completely unexpected like all gems. I was just walking through Central Park during the March for Climate Change, and out of nowhere I found Big Bird just sitting on a rock playing music, holding a box, with two other puppets dancing around in said box. There weren't any cameras around that I could see, but it looked like a legit Big Bird from Sesame Street. A bit bizarre, maybe even creepy, but at the same time it was like seeing a unicorn. 

     They are the unexpected, the hidden treasure, the diamond in the rough; Gems.  Of course gems can be found anywhere you go; I happen to find many of them throughout NYC. You only have to go to find them. What treasures have you found lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment